Thursday, January 31, 2008

Booking through Thursday #5

This week’s question is suggested by (blogless) JMutford:

Sometimes I find eccentric characters quirky and fun, other times I find them too unbelievable and annoying. What are some of the more outrageous characters you’ve read, and how do you feel about them?



Hhhhhmmmmmmmm?????????
I had to really think on this question. At first read, it had me very stumped! Did I read books with lots of quirky characters? Did they bother me?
What is quirky?????


quirk·y
–adjective, quirk·i·er, quirk·i·est.
having or full of quirks.

quirk n.
1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: "Every man had his own quirks and twists" (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
2. An unpredictable or unaccountable act or event; a vagary: a quirk of fate.
3. A sudden sharp turn or twist.
4. An equivocation; a quibble.
5. Architecture A lengthwise groove on a molding between the convex upper part and the soffit.

Well if every man has his own quirks, then I must of read something that had quirky characters.

After reading many of the posted responses to this question...I finally had my answer. I adore quirky characters! They are rich with reading flavor. They mix things up...change the story line...add depth to the adventures.

Luna Lovegood and Sybill Trelawney are two quirky characters that come to mind from the Harry Potter series. These two ladies are glaring examples of quirkiness but don't many or most of the characters from this series have quirks of one kind or another. Hagrid and his love for unusual animals springs to mind.

Then of course any strong willed woman from literature that is based before 1930 also would be considered quirky. Anne of Green Gables and her imagination and drama. And then there is Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice or Jo from Little Women. Both these woman were consider "odd" because they were not meek and mild...they had opinions and followed their own code of beliefs.

Well then you can look at children's literature....there is Winnie the Pooh and many loveable characters from Alice in Wonderland. Now that is a strange bunch! LOL

With all this being said, I would have to admit to LOVING quirky characters in literature. I find they enrich the story in a way that a "normal" character would not and I look forward to many more quirky characters to bless my life.

For more quirky responses check out Booking through Thursday

Your Quirk Factor: 65%

You're so quirky, it's hard for you to tell the difference between quirky and normal.
No doubt about it, there's little about you that's "normal" or "average."

2 comments:

chelsea said...

I love Luna, she is one of my favorite Potter characters. I love that you threw in the quiz!

Chrisbookarama said...

So YOU could be a character in a book then ;) I wonder what my quirky score is.