Thursday, January 10, 2008

Booking through Thursday #2

How did you come across your favorite author(s)?

Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?

Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?


My favorite authors are Maeve Binchy and J.K. Rowlings.

Maeve Binchy, I started reading after seeing the movie "Circle of Friends". Once I picked up the book from the local library I was unable to put it down. Through her development of the characters, they became good friends and not just people in a book. With each book I have read, my love for this author's work has become stronger. I recommend her to all who I chat with. It is a true gift when an author can make her characters "real"! She even crosses these pals from book to book which endears them even more to the readers heart :-)

I was introduced to J.K.Rowlings when I saw the first Harry Potter movie. Oh I had heard about her before, but as a children's author only. Nothing that grabbed my fancy. Then after the movie my daughter wanted to read the book, however, with her young age we made it a family book to read at night. After reading the first book, my daughter lost interest, but I was curious to see how the story would evolve. My girlfriend loaned me the next three books. I read the next two but must admit my love did not happen until I read the fourth book "The Goblet of Fire". This book pulled me into Harry's life in a way the other three had not. It became more than just a book to read. The final three I devoured with increasing speed each time. I cried when Dumbledore died, I cheered for Harry's victorys, I hissed with hatred at Dolores Umbridge and her cruelty and I sobbed when I read the final page of the final book and realized that this journey would be no more. Oh I can read the books again...and will with great enjoyment but the curiosity and thrill of new adventures is gone. I hope that this is not the end of this great author's gifts to the literary world.

No comments: