Thursday, March 27, 2008

Booking through Thursday #11


This week’s question comes from Julie, who asks:

While acknowledging that we can’t judge books by their covers, how much does the design of a book affect your reading enjoyment? Hardcover vs. softcover? Trade paperback vs. mass market paperback? Font? Illustrations? Etc.?


Book design usually has very little do with my reading enjoyment. My library is full of hardcovers, softcovers, plain covers, eleborate pictured covers, fonts of varying sizes and literature that is main stream and off the beaten path. I am often drawn to a book by the author, or how catching the blurb is written inside the jacket. At times I pick a book just on a whim or something recommended by a friend/family member.

The only time I think book design has any effect on me is when I am travelling and my space is limited. Then I look for small paperbacks. Something that is light and takes up a small space.

For more viewpoints check out Booking through Thursday

No comments: