Thursday, January 11, 2007

What to do on a cold day???

This morning I woke up to snow and cold, cold temperatures.
Can you say.....bbbbrrrr!!!?

Weather like this has one strong effect on me. All I ever want to do is stay inside. Now what to do??? Some days I like to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea. On other days I like to grab my knitting and watch a movie.

Today I decided to bake. I love the create in my kitchen so this was the perfect excuse.

I popped ingredients into my bread machine and turned on the beast.
What better than warm fresh bread on a cold winters day?
And I pulled out ingredients to make Peanut Butter cornflake squares.

Now there is a story behind these squares. Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but my hubby is not one to rave about much (more than his motorcycle of course...LOL). Anyway just before Christmas he handed me a paper with a recipe on it and proceded to tell me about these squares he had tried at work.

This was a big enough stamp of approval to have me hustling around the kitchen preparing them for the traditional Christmas goodies try. And they were good.
However, hubby just wasn't quite satisfied. Something was different! He was sure what...but something was.

So he waited for all to return back to the office after the holidays to quiz the person who had originally introduced him to this treat. After a conversation he passed on his newly acquire knowledge to me and here I am attempting to create the perfect square.


Peanut Butter Cornflake Squares
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
7 cups cornflakes
1 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups peanuts

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter in a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring til smoothly blended.
For chewy squares, boil for 1 minute.
For crisp squares, boil for 2-3 minutes.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour syrup over cereal mix and blend well.
Turn into a greased 11 x 15 x 2 pan. Press down firmly.
Cut into squares when cool.
Now the main difference is this time I used dark golden corn syrup and not white.
Will they be made correctly this time?
A taste test tonight by one of my best testers will decide tonight :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recipe?