Tuesday, January 02, 2007

January reading choices

I have decided this year to focus my reading for each month.
That means...each month I will begin with a list of books for the month and then with any luck finish the books within those 30 days.
Also I am hoping to complete the month book for Knitting with the classics each month.

January's selection for the classics is Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. But since that book is still has not arrived at the library, I will start my other choices for this month.

1. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

It is fantasy month and since I have loved each of these movies, I have decided it is time to immerse myself in the worlds that these authors have created. I am sure I will enjoy each of these adventures as much if not more than the movie experiences.

The month began with me finishing a book I began a week ago...Girl with A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.



Ms. Chevalier spins a tale from the painting by Vermeer. She surrounds you with history from the narrative of a girl who must become a maid for her family's survival in the 1660s Holland. She becomes a member of the Vermeer household and shows you her life and the life of a brilliant but different man.

I found this book to be captivating...rarely putting it down until its conclusion.

Now onto the movie...should be an interesting comparison.

No comments: