Thursday, February 08, 2007

Beware of the man of one book

The more that you read,the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,the more places you'll go.
~ Dr. Seuss ~

Books have always been a safe place for me to journey. As far back as I can remember books have been in my life. Other than bible story books, my first book was a collection of nursery rhymes. The book is well loved with its fall out pages and aged look...but it sits proudly among my collection of favorites. I still remember my Grandmother reading me the stories everytime I asked and then me thumbing through the pages and reciting what I had been told moments before.

When I turned seven, my Grandfather grabbed my hand one day and took me for a walk. We sauntered across town to a building nesseled close to the police station. It reminded me of the house you imagine when you read Hansel and Gretal. Inside was a treasure beyond your wildest imagination....inside was a warehouse of books. My Grandfather had decided that I was old enough to have my own library card. This acquisition was the beginning of a love affair. I travelled weekly to that house of books. Inside I journeyed to places only a mind can go. I went on adventures with the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I visited the characters created by Enid Blyton, Mark Twain and Barbara Cartland. I caught a glimpse of the lives of Elizabeth I and Henry VIII.

As a young mother I started reading to Sheridan at a young age as well. I surrounded her with brightly colored books and crazy characters. And as I read to her, I just increased my love of literature.

2007 was started with a goal for reading for myself. I was going to read, read, read!!!!
To accomplish that goal I.....
The object of this group is to choose 12 books that you have been meaning to read for atleast 6 months and finish them within the year.

TBR challenge books

1. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
2. Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
3. The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy
4. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
5. Eragon by Christopher Paolini
6. For one more day by Mitch Albom
7. The Other Boelyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
8. The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier
9. The Gods of Newport by John Jakes
10. The Stand by Stephen King
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
12. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Alternate List

1. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
3. Inside my Heart by Robin McGraw
4. California Gold by John Jakes
5. The Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy
6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
7. Streets of Riches by Gabrielle Roy
8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
9. Night by Elie Wiesel
10. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
11. Little Women by Louise May Alcott
12. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Also all selections chosen for the Knitting to the Classics
I also joined Knitting the Classics. It is a group that chooses one classic book to read each month and combine with knitting if we should so desire.

With these goals and a love of reading...it should be a good year.

No comments: